Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Posted on September 11th 2019
Voices From the Rye - Student Zine - Issue 2 Out Now
The second issue has the theme of ‘spirit’. Download Issue 2 of Voices From The Rye.
- Tianna considers the ways that young people acquire their own sense of spirit
- Afua looks at superstitions and their origins
- Denver reflects on what the spirit of becoming a Vegan might look like
- Madinah writes about the spirit of motivation
- Masseni writes about Jinn, a spirit Muslims believe exists
- Medina contemplates the importance of looking back at the spirits of our childhood and bravely talks about what it is like to step into adulthood.
Plus lots more.
"Raising our voices"
“It all started when two teachers, Ms Caswell and Mr Stothard, had a vision of starting our own school magazine to let us raise our voices about the things that matter to us as young women,” said lead editor Awa, Year 10. Both staff and students have been impressed with the quality of the output from the writers, who spend one lunchtime a week creating the zine. It's designed by graphic designer, Jessica Williams.
"Speak up and feel proud"
“The zine is there to give our students the opportunity to lead, make decisions and write about the things that matter to them,” said Ms Caswell. “Other students have now started to write too, which is a real testament to the zine, because they see it as an opportunity to speak up and feel proud.”