Our Learning Model
In order for all students to acquire the knowledge, skills and cultural capital essential for their future success, we aim for high quality, effective teaching to ensure that long-term learning and progress are achieved by all students.
In particular, we ensure that all pupils are challenged by teaching to the top and scaffolding the learning of those who need extra support.
Our approach to teaching and learning is firmly rooted in the latest and best educational research. We believe that having high expectations for students and ourselves will have positive benefits for the whole academy community. Therefore, we have identified the essential elements of a lesson that ensure all teaching is effective. Teachers make use of the following principles when planning and delivering their lessons.
- Every lesson has a clear purpose.
- Knowledge acquisition is sequenced so that new material builds on existing knowledge.
- Retrieval practice is used to activate and consolidate prior learning.
- Explanations are broken down into manageable chunks. Key disciplinary literacy is deconstructed and taught explicitly.
- Strategies for the completion of tasks are modelled by teachers.
- Guided and independent practice encourages collaborative and independent learning. Opportunities are provided regularly for the application of knowledge and skills in new scenarios.
- Checks of students’ understanding allow teachers to identify gaps in learning and re-teach concepts as needed.
- Reviews of learning ensure that students are aware of their progress during lessons.
- Feedback from teachers provides specific guidance so students can improve and progress.
Whilst we stipulate the above features across all lessons in the academy, departments still have the flexibility and autonomy to implement their curriculum in the way that best supports pupils to make progress within their individual subject area.
The HGAED learning model that all staff refer to when planning their lessons is available HERE. The key educational research that underpins our learning model is within this document.
For further details on our teaching and learning policy, please visit the Teaching and Learning page.